Consider GAP insurance coverage refunds like that $20 invoice that you simply forgot about in your denims pocket after which discovered while you had been doing the laundry. Technically, the $20 was yours to start with, nevertheless it nonetheless appears like a present while you discover it. Proper?
Properly, GAP insurance coverage refunds may give you that very same feeling. Although the refund was actually your cash to start with and also you knew the refund was coming, it nonetheless feels such as you’re getting an sudden present when it occurs.
Let’s get you in your option to discovering out in the event you’re eligible for a present (err, GAP insurance coverage refund) and how you can get one.
What Is GAP Insurance coverage?
Earlier than we dive into the main points of GAP insurance coverage refunds, let’s go over the fundamentals of what GAP insurance coverage is.
GAP insurance coverage pays the distinction between the precise money worth (ACV) of your automobile and the quantity you continue to owe in your lease or your mortgage. So, in the event you took out a mortgage or leased your automobile (not recommended!), and your automobile will get totaled or stolen earlier than you have got an opportunity to repay your mortgage or lease, GAP insurance coverage will cowl the distinction.
Don’t let car insurance costs get you down! Download our checklist for easy ways to save.
Make sense? We wrote extra particulars about how GAP insurance works and why you want it here.
What Is a GAP Insurance coverage Refund?
True to its identify, a GAP insurance coverage refund reimburses insurance coverage coverage holders for the stability of the premium that’s unused.
So, for instance, suppose you got GAP insurance coverage in your automobile since you borrowed a considerable sum of money to purchase the automobile, and also you need to maintain your emergency fund within the occasion the automobile is totaled or stolen.
Two and a half years later, you’re capable of repay your automobile mortgage sooner than anticipated. (Bravo!) In case you pay your insurance coverage invoice yearly and never month-to-month, you will get a refund for the GAP protection for that different half yr you already paid for.
GAP insurance coverage refunds can get slightly complicated when you begin including situations. No want to fret although. On this subsequent part, we’re going to spell out the nitty-gritty about how GAP refunds work in any scenario.
How Does a GAP Insurance coverage Refund Work?
Listed below are some conditions that present while you can and while you can’t get a GAP insurance coverage refund.
When You Can Get a GAP Insurance coverage Refund
Let’s begin with the excellent news. There are usually three conditions when you would cancel your GAP insurance coverage and get a refund:
1. You’re paying off your mortgage.
Paying off your car loan and eliminating that annoying month-to-month invoice (together with these absurd curiosity funds) generally is a nice feeling. Even higher? In case you pay your automobile mortgage off early, you’re eligible for a partial refund for the GAP protection that you simply haven’t used but.Right here’s why your refund is simply partial. You’ve already used a portion of your GAP insurance coverage coverage whereas your mortgage was nonetheless lively. So, you’ll solely get again a prorated refund for the half you haven’t already used.
2. You’re switching to a distinct insurance coverage firm.
In case you’re not happy together with your insurance coverage supplier, you may swap to a distinct firm. When you cancel your coverage out of your authentic supplier (be sure you have new automobile insurance coverage in place earlier than you cancel the unique insurance coverage), you’re eligible for a refund for the cancelled protection you didn’t use.Sometimes, in the event you cancel your insurance coverage inside 30 days after the coverage’s begin date, you will get a full refund (together with GAP insurance coverage prices). In case you cancel your insurance coverage after 30 days, your refund will likely be prorated. Examine together with your insurance coverage supplier in your coverage particulars.
3. You’re promoting or buying and selling your automobile.
In case you sell or commerce a automobile for which you’ve purchased GAP insurance coverage, you will get a refund on the quantity of protection you didn’t use. Be sure to wait to cancel your insurance coverage till after the automobile is legally offered or traded.
Right here’s an instance. Let’s say you initially determined to get a automobile that prices $30,000 and borrowed $25,000 to purchase it. You additionally purchased a yr’s value of GAP insurance coverage to protect yourself financially in case the automobile is totaled or stolen earlier than you’ve had an opportunity to pay down your $25,000 mortgage. (Good!)
After three months of protection, you need to cancel your GAP insurance coverage. It may very well be for any of the explanations listed above (mortgage payoff, switching GAP insurance coverage firms, otherwise you’re promoting/buying and selling your automobile). You’ll get a refund for the 9 months of the yr that you simply didn’t use your GAP insurance coverage protection. Good!
A fast word on refunds from mortgage payoffs: When you present your GAP insurance coverage supplier your mortgage payoff discover, you’ll obtain a partial refund for the GAP protection that you simply haven’t used. Relying in your cause for canceling your GAP insurance coverage, wait till the automobile both legally not belongs to you or your authentic mortgage is formally not in impact.
When You Can’t Get a GAP Insurance coverage Refund
Excellent news once more. There’s just one scenario while you can’t get a GAP insurance coverage refund. Okay two, in the event you rely not having GAP insurance coverage within the first place.
However let’s discuss concerning the one which counts. In case your insured automobile is asserted a complete loss and your GAP coverage pays out the distinction between the automobile’s worth and your mortgage stability, you received’t be eligible for a refund for the remaining months of protection. It is because the insurance coverage supplier figures they’ve already met (or exceeded) their obligation for the GAP protection you got and are not answerable for payouts on the coverage.
Find out how to Get Your Cash Again From Your GAP Insurance coverage Supplier
Now that we’ve gone over GAP refund necessities, it’s time to speak about how you can really get one.
Issues for Canceling Your GAP Insurance coverage
Earlier than we get into the nuts and bolts of requesting a GAP refund, there are some things to consider that would sway your determination a method or one other:
- You’ll solely obtain a refund for the GAP insurance coverage that you simply haven’t used. For instance, in the event you cancel your coverage after three months of protection, you’ll solely get a refund for the remaining 9 months (in the event you paid for a yr of protection).
- The quantity of your refund is predicated on the way you pay your insurance coverage invoice. In case you pay month-to-month, you received’t get a refund since you’ve solely paid for the protection you’ve obtained to this point. In case you pay your insurance coverage in a single lump sum, the quantity of your refund will depend upon how far into your protection you had been while you canceled your coverage.
- When you cancel your coverage and request a refund, it usually takes between 4 and 6 weeks to obtain the cash.
- You need to ask for a GAP insurance coverage refund. Most insurance coverage firms don’t routinely supply them.
Directions for Canceling Your GAP Insurance coverage Coverage
Now for the step-by-step directions. The steps under assume that you simply purchased your GAP insurance coverage out of your insurance coverage supplier and never the automobile dealership. (Trace: It’s means cheaper to get it out of your insurance coverage supplier.)
- Begin the refund course of by contacting your insurance coverage supplier. Inform them your identify, coverage quantity, and that you simply need to cancel your GAP insurance coverage and get a refund for the remaining protection. Bear in mind, don’t do that till after your automobile is legally offered or traded or your mortgage is formally paid off.
- Collect and ship paperwork to your insurance coverage supplier that proves your automobile was traded, offered or that you simply paid off your mortgage early.
- Full and submit any types that your insurance coverage supplier requires for finishing the cancellation course of.
- If it appears unclear, reiterate to your supplier that you really want a refund for the unused GAP insurance coverage protection. Most insurance coverage supplier refunds are despatched to you within the type of a examine inside 4 to 6 weeks of your cancellation request.
GAP Insurance coverage Refund FAQs
There are additionally some distinctive questions that we didn’t cowl on this article. We collected solutions to these questions right here.
1. Can I get a refund if I by no means used the GAP protection?
No. You can’t get a refund merely since you by no means filed a GAP insurance coverage declare.
2. Can I file a GAP insurance coverage refund lawsuit?
Sure, however earlier than you begin haggling with the monetary establishment that gave you the mortgage (they don’t have something to do together with your GAP insurance coverage), contact your insurance coverage firm. The insurance coverage firm could possibly present the refund with out having to file a lawsuit. Be sure to maintain all information of cellphone calls in addition to written and electronic mail correspondence.
3. Can I get a GAP insurance coverage refund if my automobile mortgage is refinanced?
In case you refinance the good means and go along with a shorter mortgage time period (and hopefully a decrease rate of interest), you’ll repay your automobile sooner. So, you won’t want GAP insurance coverage anymore, otherwise you may be capable of eliminate it ahead of you’d have in the event you didn’t refinance. Examine your mortgage paperwork to see if GAP insurance coverage remains to be mandatory. In case you not want it, we advocate contacting your insurance coverage agent for assist getting a refund for the unused premium.
Work With a Professional to Get Your GAP Insurance coverage Refund
In the case of placing extra cash in your pocket with a GAP insurance coverage refund, one of the simplest ways to chop by the pink tape is by working with an skilled insurance coverage skilled.
Our Endorsed Native Suppliers (ELPs) are unbiased automobile insurance coverage consultants and can be capable of let you know the neatest and quickest option to get your GAP insurance coverage refund.